Friday, March 13, 2009

Bisous and Flowers

Bonjour, tout le monde!

A few days ago, my host family invited me to watch the news with them (as they do most nights) but this night in particular, the recording machine wasn't working and so we ended up watching a very different news channel. It was quite interesting but a good 15 minutes of the program was titled the "100 jours de (100 days of) Barack Obama," which amused me. I realize that the United States plays a very large role in globalization these days, but I feel like sometimes I hear more about Barack Obama than I do about Nicolas Sarkozy (the French President)!

On Tuesday, we had Conversation Club again. Beforehand, I met a new friend named Aude (I'm having trouble remembering if I've mentioned her before) for coffee. Aude is a French student studying at the University of Nantes. However, next year, she will be at Hope... with me! She's going to be the TA (student assistant) to the French department next year. We met last week at Conversation Club and so we planned to get coffee this week. We had a lovely time discussing life, TV shows, Hope, and next year. I'm really excited to have a friend here who will return with me in the fall. We're already planning nights with crepes, Grey's Anatomy, and French-speaking!

When Conversation Club begins, there are always lots of bisous (kisses). I knew that the "kiss on the cheek" thing was a French custom but I did not realize (until coming here) how much it is truly a part of their everyday life. I see it everywhere! And I ALWAYS forget. For example, two guys who I've talked with before at Conversation Club approached me on Tuesday and before I could squeak out a hello, one of them stuck his face next to mine, waiting to be kissed on the cheek! I looked at him with a confused expression and asked him why he was sticking his face near mine and his response (bisous), of course, restored any confusion I had! My friend from Hope here always jokes that when she sees me next year she's going to do bisous. However, I have a feeling this custom would come across as quite strange in the United States (even though it's evidently EXPECTED here in France)!

I ate at my first French McDonald's the other day. Let me just say that the McDonald's here are WAY better than the McDonald's in the States (it's ironic, to say the least). They have WAY more dessert options (i.e. chocolate mousse). When I ordered my "McFlurry," the guy behind the counter smiled at me when I tried to spin a French accent on the word "McFlurry." This is a pretty common theme here. I attempt to sound French and then get smiled at because I apparently sound so very American. Maybe by the end of the semester, I can say something and have someone believe I'm French. I've been asked for directions a few times so at least I LOOK like a local!

Riding the bus is like a social "people-watching" experiment. I love to watch people's behaviors on the bus. Recently, though, everybody on the bus reminds me of someone back home. I saw a guy this morning who closely ressembled a 15-year old version of my cousin Cameron. I've definitely done many a double-take here. Perhaps everyone I know has a French twin (but perhaps not)!

I walked out of my house this morning and it was as if all the plants decided "Hey, we're going to bloom today." It was beautiful! There are lilac trees and magnolia bushes and little flowers popping up. I'm actually slightly sad that I won't be here for spring break in April because it's sure to be beautiful. Anyway, I fully intend on enjoying this beautiful day. I'm going to go eat lunch and then take a walk! It's sunny and supposed to be 60 degrees today. I love Spring.

That's all my news for now. I'm attempting to make plans for Spring Break (Italy for sure and possibly Greece). If anyone has friends in Rome, let me know! It's Holy Week and most of the hostels are booked and rather expensive.

Bon weekend! Bisous :)

1 comment:

  1. kiss kiss. haha. we do one kiss here. i havent had to much yet though. i dont have enough aquaintences yet. haha.

    ReplyDelete